44th Field Squadron, RCE was authorized to be formed in Trail, British Columbia on 5 June 1947. In 1991 Canadian field squadrons were re-designated as "Engineer Squadrons" and the unit became 44 Engineer Squadron.
When 39 Combat Engineer Regiment was formed in May, 2008 the new regiment absorbed 44 ES along with 6 ES. Also a new squadron was formed and absorbed - 54 ES.
The cities and towns of the Kootenays have a proud history of military service. At various times the towns of Rossland, Nelson.Trail, Kaslo, Revelstoke, Fernie, Elko, Creston and Golden have been home to many military units. To name just a few:
Rocky Mountain Rangers;
British Columbia Horse; See more about Kootenay units HERE
East Kootenay Regiment; and Also, see more on the web at - http://54thbattalioncef.ca/
24 Field Artillery Regiment
The 24th Field Artillery Regiment had its Regimental HQ and a Battery in the Trail Armoury where 44th Field Engineer Squadron was also garrisoned. The regiment also had a Battery in Nelson
In 1965 a Canada-wide reorganization of the Militia caused the artillery units in Trail and Nelson being disbanded and their soldiers were absorbed into the engineer squadron in Trail and an engineer troop in Nelson.
BLAST FROM THE PAST - See articles from the 44 ES past activies and achievements HERE
44 ES's home is the Lieutenant Colonel Arnold Henry Grant Kemball, CB, DSO Armoury. A very good description of the armoury name can be found in a Trail Times article of November 10, 2017 by Guy Bertrand to be found HERE.